Wednesday 20 October 2010

Kate Nash v. Example. The Big Debate


After reading my close friend Gareth Messenger's blog on the large debate between Kate Nash and Example, I have been spurred into action to retaliate.
Gareth admits he has taste in dance and electro-pop. What he means by this, and after thorough inspection of his ipod, is a mix of chart hits, and album tracks from chart hits. Where was the Belle & Sebastian? Where was the Death Cab For Cutie? The Cardigans? And more importantly, where was the Kate Nash? Mr Messenger claims to have a varied taste in music, yet his music taste merely ranges from 1-40 according to this weeks releases. I myself range from Lady Gaga, to Coheed and Cambria. From Adam and the Ants, to Joan Jett and still further to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Although not calling myself a music mogul, I believe I have more to say on this matter than the boy who has John and Edward on his ipod.
Yes, admittedly Kate Nash did not have many chart hits. To Mr Messenger who’s bible is the UK top 40, this would be an issue. But to the average music appreciator it is generally a small if not ignorable fact. Kate Nash is to me, my young teenage years. On the day her first album was released I was 16 and in Blackpool with my two best friends. Our first holiday alone without parents. A time of messy relationships, crushes and angst. Made Of Bricks captured this perfectly. With lyrics such as “I’m sitting with my friends getting drunk again on wine and I think about you”, and further lyrics which capture conversations such as “I heard she’s easy and if your guys with someone that’s sleazy then he isn’t worth your time ‘cos you deserve a real nice guy”. It captured the essence of what we ourselves were going through. What we figured was important at that point in our lives, and to this day they provide a welcome bopping and singing session whilst making a cup of tea in the kitchen. Her second album “My Best Friend Is You”, is more angry. A lot more heavy and with deeper subject matters, a main factor of her second album is sex. Now 19 years old, it’s still relateable, still with the same incredible beats and certain songs such as “Mansion Song” give you an excuse to jump around the house, shaking your hair and shouting the lyrics. Standard afternoon!
Songs such as “I’ve Got A Secret” and “Skeleton Song” also deal with issues such as homophobia and anorexia without being to down your throat about it.
Now, Example as an artist is pure annoyance. I have on many an occasion listened to Gareth blaring his songs out of the computer (or MY ipod speakers). I have a very leniant taste in music, but I cannot stand, and emphasis on cannot stand rap. Example used to rap in his songs. I would rest my case there but I won’t. Rap isn’t music. It’s words. Spoken to a beat. A skill I could do if I switched on one of the pre-recorded beats on a keyboard and talked over it. Now this wonderfully talented artist has gone more Calvin Harris, doing more dance and synth tunes. Gary Numan did this in the eighties-and I can only just about, very mildly, tolerate him. Calvin Harris has one song that I like. Example can’t hack it. There is nothing to his songs other than a need to be in the charts. One might argue that one of my favourite artists Lady Gaga does the same; yet when she performs, or sings, she has a depth and emotion in her songs. Same as Kate Nash. Same as Ellie Lawson or A Fine Frenzy. If someone can find me one moving or talented song of Examples, I’ll eat my gilet. Fact!
Artists like Taio Cruz, Roll Deep or Jason Derulo are also just as plain generic and yes I have them on playlists, but only because they are good dance tunes and they remind me of many a night of drunken debauchery. Example isn’t even good to dance to. And I will dance to anything. Another fact! I suggest he goes back to pre-recording tracks for keyboards and just lets me do the talking.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you can claim you've such a wide taste in music and then alienate a whole genre in the next paragraph.

    Sure, some rap music is bad. But what about Karim, KRS-One, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg? These rappers have been around for years - why? Because they're musically talented. Dre and Snoop have their own record labels and produce other budding musicians' work too.

    Example had been around and writing songs for three years before he hit the charts with Kickstarts. His music hasn't changed drastically for this to happen, it's that it's what the UK want to hear at the moment.

    If you don't like Example - fine. But that's your taste. As you so elequently stated, "I have a very leniant taste in music, but I cannot stand, and emphasis on cannot stand rap", you've shown that although you're trying to argue your case on talent... it's really all down to taste.

    ReplyDelete